About us – University College of Medical Sciences
University College of Medical Sciences is a university college dedicated to providing quality education to future healthcare providers, and enabling them to serve in India and across the globe. We pride ourselves on having exemplary faculty guiding our students, current research initiatives being undertaken in our labs, and an extensive alumni network assisting us with our course delivery.
Our college is continuously working towards improving the healthcare standards of India by providing highly qualified professionals who can best meet the ever-changing needs of the population. In addition, we provide a variety of programs that enable research and health promotion activities which include but are not limited to vital areas such as epidemiology, public health sciences, clinical services, biomedical sciences and medical informatics.
We have also developed innovative interdisciplinary programs that enable different stakeholders from the technology sector along with medical providers to come together for effective solutions for health challenges. Our institution is approved by the National Board of Medical Education (NBME) and AICTE for our degree courses; also accredited by NAAC with “A” Grade in 2017-18. Come be part of UCMS’s legacy and journey towards creating generations of healthcare professionals who are dedicated to making a difference in this world through their knowledge, skills and professional expertise!
To become a leading institution in India that is internationally recognized for its excellence in medical education, research and healthcare.
- To provide world-class medical education to the students, ensuring the continual improvement of their professional knowledge and skills
- To foster an environment that encourages innovation and critical thinking for evidence-based clinical practice
- To ensure quality clinical services to the community through dedicated patient care
- To produce exemplary professionals of the highest calibre with humane values who can serve globally
- To strive for advancements in medical research, technological developments and interdisciplinary collaborations for delivering quality healthcare.
University College of Medical Sciences (UCMS) was established in 1971 as a Constituent College of the University of Delhi. It is situated in Dilshad Garden Enclave, and was originally known as Maulana Azad Medical College. The college is one of the leading medical institutions in India.
The idea for UCMS dates back to the formation of an institution bearing the same name in 1941 by Rai Bahadur Badri Prasad and Dr. B Barooah on leased land at Chandni Chowk in Delhi. However, it didn’t materialize due to World War II. After the war ended, Badri Prasad started working on his vision again and finally received a letter from the then Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru conveying approval for the establishment of a medical college.
In 1961, plans began to construct a central university campus at Ring Road, but difficulties related to land acquisition left this incomplete till 1967 when it was announced that 50 acres from central Delhi would be allocated for establishing this college project. This also included the construction of associated teaching hospitals, community centres, hostels and other infrastructural facilities at affordable costs for students coming from weaker sections of society. Finally, the University College of Medical Sciences came into existence on 15 August 1971 after receiving approval from the Central Government through an ordinance dated 6 April 1971 called Maulana Azad Medical College Ordinance Pass (MAMCOP). The first batch started their MBBS course with 70 students in November 1972.
Since its inception, UCMS has worked diligently towards providing quality medical education to students who come here from all parts of India and abroad. It has grown over the years and now offers various degree programs under its Department Of Medical Education & Research as well as its associated hospitals including Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital (GTBH), Vardhman Mahavir Medical College & Safdarjung Hospital (VMMCH), Madan Mohan Malviya Hospital (MMMH), Military Hospital (MH), Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital (IRCH) etc., many laboratories and institutes such as Indian Society For Promoting Christian Knowledge Institute Of Pathology (ISPCKIP), Central Drug Research Institute Delhi Center Of Excellence For Biomedical And Health Informatics(CEBHI) etc., modernized classrooms fitted with latest teaching-learning facilities and hostels equipped with Wi-Fi connections among others amenities to make it a hub for medical studies in India today.
- Incorporate Technology into Education: Embrace technology-driven solutions to ensure that medical students are able to learn more effectively and access the latest medical advances. Utilize digital resources such as online lectures, simulations, interactive modules and other innovative teaching methods.
- Develop an Interdisciplinary Approach to Education: Ensure that medical students acquire a comprehensive understanding of the human body through a rigorous integration of biomedical, clinical, public health and social science disciplines.
- Foster Evidence-Based Practice: Train medical students in evidence-based practice (EBP) so they can make informed decisions based on scientific literature rather than personal opinion or bias.
- Emphasize Patient Safety and Quality Assurance: Strengthen patient safety procedures related to communication, interdisciplinary teamwork, systems design/functionality, emergency preparedness and quality assurance initiatives throughout medical education programs.
- Advocate Teamwork Between Faculty, Clinicians and Students: Promote collaborative approaches between faculty members, clinicians and students that encourage shared decision-making within clinical settings.
- Encourage Lifelong Learning Among Medical Students: Provide opportunities for active learning that include clinical experiences throughout all academic years to foster knowledge acquisition and motivation among medical learners at any level of progress in their career path.
- Bsc Nursing
- Msc Nursing
- Diploma in Medical Lab Technology
- Advanced Diploma in Medical Imaging Techniques
- PG Diploma In Health Care & Quality Management 10. MD/MS in Clinical Speciality Courses
- Anatomy Society
- Radio Diagnosis & Imaging Society
- Public Health and Community Medicine Society
- Microbiology Society
- Ophthalmology Society
- Surgical Informatics Society
- Physiology Society
- Dentistry & Oral Health Science Society
- Pharmacology and Therapeutics Society
- Forensic Medicine and Toxicology Society