About us – Janki Devi Memorial College
We are proud to offer high-quality education in a unique and diverse setting that truly allows our students to excel. At Janki Devi Memorial College, we believe in creating a learning environment that fosters creativity, encourages self-confidence and encourages ambition. We strive to create an atmosphere of inclusion, where all students are valued and respected for their perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences.
The purpose of Janki Devi Memorial College is twofold: to provide a stimulating intellectual environment for both undergraduate and postgraduate studies; and to act as a united graduate college community by fostering cross-cultural understanding, research collaboration and friendly conversations among its student body. In fulfilling these goals, Janki Devi Memorial College offers more than 50 modern undergraduate programs with concentrations in the sciences, humanities and social sciences. Additionally, the college offers several master’s degrees in areas ranging from business administration to computer science.
To ensure the success of our graduates in today’s competitive job market, our college emphasizes experiential learning opportunities such as internships, off-campus studies abroad, service projects, internships with industry partners etc. In addition to rigorous academic training provided by experienced professors at the forefront of their fields, we also strive to equip our students with the skills they need later in their lives through career guidance & counselling services. Furthermore, co-curricular activities outside of academics such as cultural & sports events provide valuable insight into how different fields operate outside of the classroom or lab setting.
At Janki Devi Memorial College, we offer our students an exciting educational experience surrounded by knowledgeable faculty passionate about teaching and mentoring young minds to cultivate successful future generations of professionals competent enough to meet present-day challenges head-on. Thank you for considering us in your education search – come visit us soon!
Vision And Mission
To be at the vanguard of higher education and foster a learning-centric environment for students to achieve excellence.
To promote knowledge, skill development, creativity and innovation among students in an advanced teaching environment that empowers them to become active global citizens. To ensure that every student is provided with resources and personalised attention to nurture their growth as effective, responsible and ethical members of society.
Janki Devi Memorial College was established in 1924 by Late Smt. Janki Devi, the wife of Sir Ganga Ram.The college owes its inception to the initiative of Shri. Tej Bahadur Sapru who laid the foundation stone along with Mahatma Gandhi on April 12th, 1924. The college began as a constituent college of the University of Delhi and was initially housed in a building near Connaught Place. In 1942-43, it was shifted to its present location at Lajpat Nagar in South Delhi.
In 1949-50, PG classes started in English and Mathematics and soon after they became a Postgraduate Center for students from North India as well as for students from abroad seeking Higher Education in India. It also added more courses including Home Science and Political Science departments to its course curriculum, thus emerging as one of the topmost institutions for Women’s education in India. Throughout the coming years, apart from expanding its course offerings, the college developed new infrastructure and upgraded existing facilities.
The most significant progress came when then President Bill Clinton visited the college during his visit to India as an honorary student at Janki Devi Memorial College on March 21st, 2000 which brought the huge spotlight to this institution yet again, albeit in a very positive light. Soon after his visit, several development initiatives were undertaken at this institution, making it one of the best educational institutions in the country. The recent achievements include accreditation with ISO 9001:2015 certification, accreditation with ICT aptitude program and recognition among the top 500 QS Global World ranking universities by QS Quacquarelli Symonds 2016-17. That reflects how far this venerable institution has come since its inception almost 90 years ago!
- Promote a culture of collaboration and communication: Encourage staff and faculty to provide feedback on progress, and foster an environment of honest dialogue.
- Expand and integrate technology: Implement programs such as online learning management systems, video conferencing systems, social media outlets, etc., to improve the educational experience.
- Introduce evidence-based teaching practices: Invest in research on best practices for impacting student outcomes and integrating them into curriculum design and teaching methods.
- Embrace lifelong learning: Offer opportunities for both students and faculty to continuously develop their skills through ongoing training sessions, workshops, seminars, etc.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: Create an open atmosphere of respect in order to foster mutual understanding among students; create policies that commonly accept all religions or cultures; offer equal opportunity programs to attract diverse members of the community; hire a diverse range of faculty who represent different backgrounds; offer courses exploring different cultures encapsulated within the college’s subject areas; encourage cross-cultural dialogue throughout the campus.
- Parent/community engagement: Invite parents of enrolled students as well as local businesses, government representatives, employers and other key stakeholders to engage with college leadership regularly on matters of importance; create avenues where they can contribute their insights on developing solutions which benefit the entire college community.
- Reinforce risk management measures: Create a proactive approach toward managing risks associated with changes in educational policies at the local or federal level (such as anti-discrimination laws), increasing competition from other colleges, etc., by identifying such risks, regularly assessing them for their impact on various departments’ ability to fulfil goals set forth by Janki Devi Memorial College’s.
- BA (Hons) in Psychology
- BSc (Hons.) in Mathematics
- BA (Hons) in English Literature
- BCom Hons. With Marketing & Finance
- BSc (Hons.) in Physics with Geology
- Advanced Diploma Course in Environmental Studies
- MA/MSc in Political Science
- MCom Hons. With Accounting & Finance
- MA/MSc in Mathematics
- MA/MSc in Statistics
- JDM Music Society
- 2. JDM Dance and Theatre Society
- 3. JDM Literary, Debating and Cultural Society
- 4. JDM Social Services Society
- 5. JDM Psychological and Counselling Cell
- 6. JDM Sports Council
- 7. Science Association of Janki Devi Memorial College
- 8. Mathematics Association of Janki Devi Memorial College
- 9. Commerce Association of Janki Devi Memorial College
- 10. English Literary and Language Reading Forum