About us – Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Sciences
Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Sciences (IHBAS) is one of the top-ranked healthcare institutes in India, IHBAS is dedicated to providing world-class services to its patients.At IHBAS, we take a holistic approach to healthcare – focusing on not only curing diseases but also improving overall quality of life. We strongly believe that each person is unique and deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.
Our team of renowned doctors, nurses and staff are committed to providing personalized care and holistic support for people with mental health issues. We work closely with our patients to develop tailored solutions that address their individual needs and expectations. We also specialize in integrated healthcare programs that combine psychological interventions through formal counseling and psychotherapy along with social rehabilitation and vocational training. Our programs ensure highest levels of recovery from mental illnesses as well as complete integration into mainstream society. Supported by cutting-edge technology, advanced medical research, state-of-the-art facilities, round the clock services, IHBAS strives for excellence in delivering quality healthcare services to its patients.
The Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Sciences envisions a progressive society founded on the principles of social justice, equal opportunities and human rights. We strive to develop and strengthen resources available in the community to empower individuals with improved quality life-styles.
To provide an atmosphere that facilitates excellence in research, teaching and service delivery in the field of mental health and allied sciences. Our primary mission is to enhance the wellbeing of people by creating a synergy between research, treatment, rehabilitation, training and advocacy through appropriate response to the population’s needs.
IHBAS (Institute of Human Behaviour & Allied Sciences), erstwhile Institute of Psychiatry was established in April,1956 as the first institute, conceived by Ministry of Health, Government of India to look after mental health care delivery and teaching and training facilities for providing manpower in the field of psychiatry. It stands as an autonomous body funded by Govt. of National Capital Territory, Delhi.
The genesis of the Institute can be traced to 1952 when a committee under the chairmanship Dr. Bishun Narayan Das sent a report on psychiatric services in India to the Government. In response a Mental Hospital was started at Mathura Road with 200 beds which was initially run by hospital staff without any formal psychiatric and administrative support . This Hospital was designated as Institute on April 1 1956 and named as ‘Institute of Psychiatry’.
The inception of IHBAS can be attributed majorly to stalwarts in the field- namely Dr Rahi Masoom Reza, who played a vital role in its establishment; along with Profiles such as Dr PN Wig, Prof RC Mishra & Dr KC Baig amongst others who made it possible for IHBAS to evolve into an institution dedicated towards quality and research based mental healthcare.
Since its inception IHBAS has made significant strides in terms of advanced treatment procedures such as Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT). Research activities have always been emphasised at IHBAS focusing mainly on issues related to Drug Development, Psychological Interventions and Mental Health services tailored to those from vulnerable sections such as Transgender communities and detainees suffering from severe mental illness lodged at Tihar Jail among many other initiatives taken over time. In more recent times IHBAS has also been focused on introducing E-Health initiatives such as Telepsychiatry services aimed at providing online consultation platforms so that quality mental health treatments become accessible globally.
- Foster an inclusive and equitable environment for all members of IHBAS, including staff, faculty, and students in decision-making processes.
- Encourage open communication and collaboration between everyone in the Institute.
- Promote the recognition of prior learning experiences and diverse perspectives within IHBAS.
- Develop and document policies to effectively manage people and resources, including prioritization of research objectives.
- Advocate for transparent systems that encourage honest knowledge and data-sharing across organized bodies (e.g., committees and advisory boards).
- Cultivate a working culture that supports creativity and innovation through evidence-based approach, rather than arbitrary interpretation or opinion based decisions.
- Collect regular feedback from different stakeholders to measure the impact of services provided by IHBAS & that could help improve future initiatives& projects
- Encourage collaborative partnerships with various stakeholders including educational institutions, government agencies, foundations & private entities in order to leverage resources & maximize collective impact
- PhD in Psychology
- MPhil in Applied Psychology
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing
- Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Psychology
- Advanced Diploma in Psychiatric Rehabilitation
- Certificate Course in Basic Counselling Skills
- Certificate Course in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Certificate Course in Basics of Clinical Research & Biostatistics
- Psychological Society
- Psychiatric Nursing Society
- Management & Entrepreneurship Association
- Counseling Association
- Social Work Association
- Student Scientific Research Forum
- Research Society
- Interdisciplinary Society
- Music Therapy Forum
- Yoga and Meditation Group