About us – Hans Raj College
Hans Raj College is an educational institution situated on the north campus of the University of Delhi. Founded on 2nd July 1948, it is a constituent college of the University of Delhi. It was set up with a donation from a famous philanthropist and educationist, Rai Bahadur Lala Hans Raj Gupta.
The college offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs in various branches of liberal arts and sciences such as sociology, economics, mathematics, political science and English literature. The college also provides several professional courses like Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Bachelor in Mass Media (BMM) and Bachelor in Computer Application (BCA), among many others.
At Hans Raj College, we believe that by creating meaningful learning experiences through quality academic programs, our students will go on to become leaders in their respective fields; equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed. Our dedicated faculty strives to create an environment conducive to creative problem-solving among our students so that they can fully grasp these life-changing moments.
Vision And Mission
To nurture competent and socially responsible citizens possessing a global outlook, who excel in all spheres of human endeavour.
We aim to promote holistic academic excellence through the pursuit of knowledge with the spirit of inclusivity and devotion to the nation. We strive to provide an environment that promotes creativity and inquisitiveness, instilling values of social justice and compassion.
Hans Raj College is a constituent college of the University of Delhi. It was founded in 1948 and is one of the oldest colleges in India.The college was named after its benefactor, Lala Hans Raj Gupta, an industrialist. The college was initially meant to be a feeder institution for Hindu College but gradually it grew to be seen as a centre for excellence with departments offering courses not available anywhere else in India at that time.
In 1949, the school introduced its first regular degree course — a BA in English. Over the years, new programs such as BSc (Mathematics) and BA (Economics) were introduced, and the college became affiliated with numerous other schools including the School of Physical Education, Chemistry department and History department. The late sixties saw Hans Raj emerge as one of Delhi’s leading educational institutions thanks to its well-equipped laboratories, classrooms and committed faculty. The college has produced some of the finest minds in various fields such as politics, engineering, economics, science and law over the years which have been instrumental in shaping India’s destiny today.
Today, Hans Raj College maintains its tradition of academic excellence through modern curricula combining theory and practice. It continues to offer courses spanning disciplines such as humanities, science and commerce while actively reorganizing itself with technological advances, keeping it on par with international standards. From former Prime Ministers Indira Gandhi and Narasimha Rao to Nobel Prize winners Venkatraman Ramakrishnanand KailashSatyarthi – students from this prestigious institution left indelible marks on society at large.
- Seek to align and integrate the mission, values and culture of the college with those of its students.
- Provide clear expectations for student conduct and behaviour, both in the classroom and on campus.
- Foster a positive learning environment that supports academic success and inclusivity of all.
- Encourage cross departmental collaboration among faculty and staff, focusing on solving problems creatively.
- Enhance student engagement by providing resources to support their academic achievement, personal growth, and well-being.
- Develop effective communication processes between administration and students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents/guardians & other stakeholders.
- Ensure diversity & minimize bias in faculty/staff recruitment, the admissions process for students, financial aid allocation etc.
- Create professional development programs to support staff & help them hone their skills & expertise in order to better serve the college community.
- Promote campus safety through the appropriate use of technology such as security coverage & alarm systems; IT infrastructure including users’ access control; partnerships with law enforcement agencies etc.
- B.A. (Honours) in Economics
- B.A.( Honours) in English
- B.A.( Honours) in History
- B.Sc.( Honours) in Botany
- B.Sc.( Honours) in Chemistry
- B.Sc.( Honours) in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Social Work(BSW)
- Bachelor Of Commerce (Hons.)
- Bachelor Of Computer Applications (BCA)
- Bachelor Of Business Administration (BBA)
- Aryabhatta Maths Society
- Debating Society
- English and Literary Association (ELA)
- Hansrajophiles: Heritage Club of HRC
- Intellect – The Quizzing Society Of Hans Raj College
- Philosophia – The Philosophy society of Hans Raj College
- Tedx Hans Raj College
- Youth Action United (YAU)
- EcoSoc: The Environmental Concern Society of Hans Raj College
- Dramatics Society Of Hans Raj College