Amazon Web Services (AWS) has recently disclosed that the University of Delhi (DU) is leveraging its cloud services to facilitate the extensive implementation of Samarth eGov. This open-source initiative aims to digitise higher education institutions (HEIs) across the country.
The comprehensive Samarth eGov suite encompasses over 40 software modules, addressing various aspects such as academics, administration, student services, human resources, governance, accounting, and finance.
What is Samarth?
“Samarth” is an initiative launched by the Ministry of Education in 2019 as part of the National Mission on Education through Information and Communication Technology (NMEICT-II), now known as NMEICT-III.
- The objective is to empower universities and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) with a digital framework for planning, management, delivery, and monitoring of services for students, staff, and stakeholders.
- As part of this project, HEIs receive a fully managed, cloud-based, comprehensive Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system tailored for the country’s higher education sector.
- Since its inception in 2019, Samarth has expanded to various types of Higher Education Institutions, including Central Universities, State Universities, Colleges, NITs, IIITs, IIM, IISER, and other Institutions of National Importance. With a nationwide presence, Samarth is establishing a network of digitally advanced campuses, ensuring a consistent and world-class experience for students and administrators.
- As of now, the Samarth eGov portal has been adopted by over 200 universities and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in India, including more than 40 central and state universities, along with over 100 colleges. Amazon plans to extend its reach to cover more than 500 HEIs by the year 2023.
- Amazon’s cloud service, through the Samarth eGov initiative, is specifically tailored to improve admission processes and facilitate examination management. Notably, the portal processed over 663,000 student applications from January through July 2022.
What is the Purpose of the Samarth Platform?
- Samarth integrates technology with governance policies and standards in higher education, offering anytime-anywhere digital interfaces for institutions and stakeholders. Through Samarth’s digital interfaces, institutions can enhance the quality of higher education by simplifying procedures and practices.
- Under the Samarth initiative, a process automation engine that supports open source and open standards is provided to drive digital transformation in Universities and HEIs. The initiative offers a range of digital tools integrated into an online platform, promoting efficient resource planning and management, process and service improvement, and good governance in higher education.
- The Samarth e-governance platform seamlessly combines technology and education delivery, tailored for HEIs across the country. It enables the deployment of a digital framework for the planning, management, delivery, and monitoring of services for students, staff, and other stakeholders.
- The platform comprises nine packages with over 40 modules, allowing institutions to streamline records from admission details to examinations, employee and leave data, payroll, and administrative information. Carefully designed based on a thorough study of university rules and systems, these modules present an integrated system of records and data.
What is the Samarth eGov Suite?
The Samarth E-Gov Suite serves as a specialised platform designed for Universities and Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) to implement a digital framework promoting good governance. Samarth enhances institutional efficiency by enabling them to:
- Utilise digital technologies for defining and governing administrative processes.
- Seamlessly provide quality services to students, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with other institutions to develop best practices and efficient operational procedures, fostering good governance.
Samarth encompasses over 40 software modules designed for the management of various workflows within five critical functional domains of university operations and administration.
|ACADEMICS AND STUDENT LIFECYCLE
|Programme and Courses; Admissions; Evaluation & Grading; Research; Student Feedback; Training and Placement; Alumni Portal
|HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT AND EMPLOYEE LIFECYCLE
|Recruitment; Employment Management; Leave Management; Knowledge Management; Career Advancement; Training of Trainers (ToT) Management
|FINANCE, ACCOUNTS AND SUPPLY CHAIN
|Budget & Accounts; Payroll Management; Research Project and Grants Management; Fee Management; Bill Management; Asset and Inventory Management; Endowment Management
|GOVERNANCE AND DECISION SUPPORT
|Grievance Management; File Management & Tracking; Affiliation Management; Estate Management System; Residence Allocation Management; RTI Management; Legal Case Management; Minutes Resolutions Archive; Central Data Unit
|OTHER FACILITIES AND SERVICES
|Organisational Structure; User Management; Core Communication System; Hostel Management; Service Desk Management; Library Integration; Content Federation System and Website APIs; Health Management System; Transport and Fleet Management; Security Management System; Sports Management System; Other Essential Services
How does Samarth eGov Function?
Samarth eGov is constructed utilising various AWS services, including Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud, offering scalable compute capacity for handling peak workloads like concurrent online examinations. Elastic Load Balancing is employed to distribute network traffic, enhancing application scalability, particularly crucial during events like admissions and examinations.
In terms of communication, Samarth eGov utilises Amazon Simple Email Service to generate numerous SMS, email, and mobile push notifications. Additionally, there is a collaboration with the government of Telangana to enhance digital public services.
Which Central Universities are using Samarth eGov currently?
- Allahabad University
- B. B. Ambedkar University
- Central University of South Bihar
- Central University of Haryana
- Central University of Himachal Pradesh
- Central University of Jammu
- Central University of Jharkhand
- Central University of Karnataka
- Central Sanskrit University
- Central University of Andhra Pradesh
- Central University of Punjab
- Central University of Rajasthan
- Central University of Tamil Nadu
- C. T. U. of Andhra Pradesh
- G. G. Vishwavidhyalaya
- H. N. B. Garhwal University
- Manipur University
- Maulana Azad University
- Mizoram University
- N. Sanskrit University
- Pondicherry University
- Rajiv Gandhi University
- Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri NSU
- Sikkim University
- Tezpur University
- University of Delhi
- Visva Bharati University
Which State Universities are using Samarth eGov currently?
- Ambedkar University, Delhi
- Doon University, Dehradun
- M. R. S. State University
- K. M. C. Language University
- JGND University, Patiala
- Madurai Kamaraj University
- University of Jammu
- Baba Gulam S. B. University
How to Login on Delhi University Samarth Portal?
Delhi University students and teachers have different websites available to log in and access all the details. Students can view all the exam-related details like admit card, result, date sheet, examination fee payment and many more on the Samarth eGov Portal.
Links to access the Samarth portal:
Q1. Which universities and institutions are currently using Samarth eGov?
The initiative has been extended to various types of Higher Education Institutions, including Central Universities, State Universities, Colleges, NITs, IIITs, IIM, IISER, and other Institutions of National Importance.
Q2. Can Samarth eGov be customized to meet the specific needs of a university or institution?
Yes, Samarth eGov offers customization options to meet the specific requirements of universities and institutions.
Q3. What role does cloud computing, particularly AWS, play in Samarth eGov?
Samarth eGov utilizes AWS services, such as Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud and Elastic Load Balancing, to provide scalable compute capacity and handle peak workloads.
Q4. Is Samarth eGov accessible for both administrators and students?
Yes, Samarth eGov is designed to be accessible for both administrators and students through user-friendly interfaces.