More than 1000 students of Delhi University benefited from the fee waiver scheme worth more than rupees 1 crore, launched under the Financial Support Scheme (FSS). The waiver covers all components of the student costs except the examination and hostel fees.
To “spread the benefits of equity, access, and quality” education to financially underprivileged students, DU launched the FSS at its centennial celebration last year.
Application for the programme is open to all full-time, legitimate students enrolled at DU.
Who can get the benefits of the Financial Support Scheme?
Students whose families earn less than rupees 4,00,000 per year are eligible for a 100% fee waiver, while those earning between rupees 4,00,000 and 8,00,000 per year are eligible for a 50% fee waiver.
All of the student fees paid are covered by the waiver, except for the examination and housing fees.
According to Pankaj Arora, Dean of Students Welfare at DU, the list of students eligible for fee exemptions was finalised after the essential information was gathered from meritorious applicants. This verification process included visiting the applicants’ homes.
When was the Financial Support Scheme Launched?
In November 2022, Delhi University launched the Financial Support Scheme. The programme was introduced for pupils in the EWS quota or economically disadvantaged sector. Candidates were given the option of a 50 per cent or 100 per cent fee remission under the DU FFS Program, depending on their family’s income.
Number of Applicants and Verification process
According to Pankaj Arora, 1700 applications were submitted to DU. Over 1,009 students have been deemed qualified for the fee relief programme. The Dean of Students Welfare also mentioned that the DU FSS Program was motivated by the principles embodied in the Indian Government’s “Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas” motto.
One thousand seven hundred applications in all were sent to DU. Over 1,009 of those students have been deemed qualified for the fee relief programme.
Delhi University selected 1,340 kids after thorough verification, which included visiting the applicants’ homes, and requested that they submit a few papers and undertakings. DU was glad to notify you that the list of students eligible for fee waivers has been finalised after receiving the documentation from 1,009 applicants.
List of Documents required for the Financial Support Scheme application form
- Annual income certificate of the family for the last financial year in the standard format.
- Copy of ITR of parents, wherever applicable.
- Copies of mark sheet of the last exam passed.
- Copy of bonafide student certificate in Degree/Postgraduate degree course.
- Copy of Fee Receipt mentioning the amount under different heads separately.
- Copy of Bank Pass Book showing the student’s name, Account number, IFSC code and Photograph pasted at the appropriate place.
Why Apply for a Financial Support Scheme and its importance?
Education has emerged as one of the most valuable and costly things in the modern world. Most high school graduates who want to pursue a career that requires several years of schooling look for financial aid. Fee waiver schemes emerge as the most requested type of financial aid in such a situation. This is due to the fact that such scholarships are not repaid, in contrast to student loans. Deserving students receive and get the benefit of financial support schemes in institutions. Students should unquestionably submit a scholarship/ fee waiver application to the college of their choice. After all, receiving a scholarship/ benefit of a fee waiver has several advantages.
Investment in education is costly. No matter how much parents want to provide their kids with the best education possible, many struggle to do so, especially as they enter higher education. Due to high housing costs and pricey tuition, parents frequently find themselves in a difficult situation. Other methods, including education fee waiver schemes and scholarships, come in handy in these circumstances. Delhi University is a central university run by government funding, and the fee of the college is pretty much affordable, but accommodation cost for outstation students is almost unbearable because of sky-high rents of student accommodation so if the university sanctions funds for free education of those students who need it then it really helps such students.
As they move through their academic careers and progressively make the transition into professional professions, students can benefit greatly from a fee waiver. Fee waivers not only help with some of the costs associated with education, but they also make a great addition to a candidate’s portfolio and résumé, making a great impression on admissions committees and potential employers. A student’s academic aptitude and dedication to the pursuit of greatness in their subject of interest are demonstrated by their ability to receive any scholarship and fee waiver.
How fee waiver scheme helps students
Following are the ways in which fee waiver schemes help students.
- Helps in reducing Debts – The expense of receiving a good education is high. As a result, a lot of parents and students are turning to loans to pay for their children’s education. Some of these loans have high interest rates that can be challenging to pay back in the future. Hence, finding a different means to pay for a university education can have a huge impact on both parents and students. Since the scholarship money is not required to be repaid, both parents and kids can avoid accruing extra debt. A learner who has less debt is more productive in class because they are less stressed and under pressure to come up with money to pay off their debts.
- Helps the students to access quality education – A fee waiver for college allows a student to receive the highest calibre education possible. A student might not be able to apply to a university of choice if the student is not financially capable. Yet regardless of a student’s intellectual prowess, a student can end up with a substandard education since one can only receive knowledge that is worth one’s money. But, a fee waiver gives students the chance to receive the top education of merit.
- Helps the students in enrolling at University of their choice – Fee waivers have no regional restrictions. Do you want to attend a foreign institution of learning? Or might a nearby school be better for you? A fee waiver ensures that you will get a look at the university of your choosing, whatever that may be. A fee waiver therefore gives you a variety of possibilities for continuing your education so that you are not limited to what your parents can pay for.
- Enables students to study in a diverse environment – A fee waiver enables students to pursue their education anywhere in the country. As a result, kids get the opportunity to connect with pupils from different corners of the nation who are of various cultures, colours, regions, and beliefs. One can learn about other people’s varied ways of life by interacting with these students. You learn to respect and comprehend individual diversity as a result of the relationship. You can understand other cultures and learn new languages thanks to the environment’s diversity. And Delhi University’s diversity has always been the talk of the town.
If you are wondering about the expenses of studying at Delhi University then there’s nothing to be worried about because Delhi University has got your back and it welcomes you with open arms. For the welfare of its students there are tremendous schemes like FSS and thousands of students enjoy its benefits. If you are someone who is dedicated and passionate about learning and deserves a seat at Delhi University then you should definitely come to study here regardless of expenses because non-other University in our country is as affordable as Delhi University, and Delhi being the capital city of the country provides you ample opportunities for side hustle and making money, you just need to come, explore, lear, re-learn and work hard.