One of India’s most esteemed universities, Delhi University (DU) is famous for its academic brilliance and dedication to fostering a welcoming and safe campus community. A thorough DU campus code of conduct that describes the expectations of all students, faculty members, and staff has been prepared to guarantee that this climate is upheld and that all members of the university community are allowed to prosper.
The purpose of the DU campus code of conduct is to encourage respect, safety and security, responsible substance use, academic integrity, and acceptable use of social media and technology. It encompasses all university activities, both on and off campus, and applies to everyone linked with the institution, regardless of their position or role.
The aim, scope, and enforcement processes of the DU campus code of conduct will all be covered in detail in this article. We will also talk about how crucial it is to keep these standards and what can happen if someone does. We can all support a secure, welcoming, and rigorously academic campus community by being aware of and abiding by the DU campus code of conduct.
Everyone on the DU campus is required to act in a specific way to preserve the campus’ tranquilly and harmony. The following are some proper on-campus etiquette guidelines for all students:
Students should adhere to the campus dress code by dressing appropriately. Avoid wearing provocative t-shirts, exposing clothing, or anything that is ripped or unclean. Comfortable, clean, and respectable clothing is required.
Respect for Others
Students should be mindful of other people’s right to privacy and personal space. Avoid screaming, loud chatting, and producing excessive noise. It should be illegal to use abusive language, make disparaging remarks, or practise any kind of discrimination.
Being on time is essential in college since it demonstrates respect for other people’s time. Being on time for class, meetings, and appointments is expected of all students.
Because the DU campus is a public area, everyone must maintain it free from trash and clutter. Avoid leaving trash, spitting, and defacing the property or walls. Students should avoid eating or drinking in off-limits locations and dispose of their garbage in authorised containers.
Technology etiquette states that when on campus, usage of technology should be restricted to academic pursuits. It can be impolite and disruptive to use computers, tablets, or mobile devices during meetings or lectures. Students should turn off or put their phones on mute during these events.
Campus Code of Conduct
The DU Campus Code of Conduct is intended to protect university principles and encourage intellectual rigour, academic excellence, and personal accountability. Discipline, up to and including suspension or expulsion from the institution, may be applied in response to violations of the code of conduct.
- Students are expected to uphold a strict level of discipline. Indiscipline cases shall be handled per the guidelines of Delhi University’s regulation XV-B.
- In addition to any other disciplinary action the university deems appropriate, any student found guilty of indiscipline is to forfeit their claim to any reward or merit certificate.
- Ragging in any form is completely forbidden both inside the campus and in public. Any ragging incident will be handled per University Ordinance XV-C.
- The UGC Notification 2016 (Prevention, Prohibition and Redress of Sexual Harassment of Women Employees and Students in Higher Educational Institutions) Regulations 2015 shall serve as the student’s code of conduct. Any instance of sexual harassment will be handled per the University of Delhi.
- Students serve as ambassadors for their respective colleges for the duration of their course. Extreme severity will be used for any acts of indiscipline, immorality, illegality, harassment, poor behaviour, and similar things both inside and outside the college campus. All students are actively encouraged to act in a way that represents a responsible student and member of the community.
- Regular attendance in class is demanded of the students. To be eligible to sit for the university examinations, students must participate in 2/3 of the offered lectures (including tutorials) and the Practical, each independently. Parents and guardians are obliged to regularly check on their children’s attendance.
- The students must attend all seminars, special lectures, and college-sponsored events. Any student who disobeys this will be prohibited from participating in college-related events and placements.
- As per the DU campus code of conduct, every student is required to follow the deadlines for submitting their classwork, projects, and certificates of successful completion of summer training.
- As per the DU campus code of conduct, when a student misses his/her college classes due to illness, a medical certificate must be submitted right away when the student enrols.
- The college authorities, in pursuit of University guidelines, may request students to furnish accurate and authentic information as needed. Any changes to the information provided at the time of DU admission should be communicated as they happen.
- Details of a student’s contributions would be kept on file by the institution for credit entry in his or her college leaving certificate, by the particular college. For any wrongdoing or indiscipline, the student will also receive negative marks on the same certificate.
Activities students should avoid doing
- Smoking, drinking alcohol, gambling and drug taking inside the DU campus.
- Causing damage to university or college properties like buildings, furniture, fixtures, technological devices and garden, etc.
- Tampering with any kind of official records.
- Disturbing the decorum of the college campus while the teaching process is going on in other classes.
- Engaging in any form of violence, hostility, or obscenity, whether it be physical, verbal, or digital.
- Carrying arms or any other sharp weapons.
- Any conduct which can be a threat to the safety and security of students and professors.
- Any acts of indiscipline, immorality, illegal nature, harassment and bad behaviour both inside and outside the university campus.
- Any activity which negatively affects the reputation of the university and colleges.
The university may impose sanctions on a student who violates the DU Campus Code of Conduct. Depending on the kind and gravity of the infringement, different measures will be taken. Disciplinary measures might consist of:
A warning may be given to the student as a formal notification that their actions have contravened the Code of Conduct.
The student can be put on probation, which entails a term of close observation and compliance with specified rules or restrictions.
The student can be expelled from the school for a predetermined amount of time. The student is not permitted to attend courses or take part in extracurricular activities during this period.
Expulsion from the university is the harshest disciplinary measure that can be used. This indicates that the student has been permanently expelled from the school and is not permitted to reapply.
It’s crucial to remember that the particular disciplinary measures the institution takes may change based on the circumstance. In most cases, the institution will look into the claimed infraction, give the student a chance to comment, and then decide what sort of disciplinary action is necessary in light of the circumstances.
In conclusion, maintaining proper manners and abiding by the DU campus code of conduct is essential for building an inclusive and courteous community. To guarantee that everyone may flourish in a secure and encouraging atmosphere, the rules established in the code of conduct are in place.
Following these rules and regulations of the DU Campus code of conduct may make all the difference in creating a great campus culture, from being considerate of noise levels in common places to treating people with compassion and respect.
In the end, it is up to each person to accept accountability for their deeds and contribute to a society that respects honesty and decency. We can all work together to make DU a friendly and inclusive environment for everyone who calls it home if we do this.