About us – Indraprastha College for Women
Indraprastha College for Women is a premier degree-granting institution of higher education located in New Delhi, India. Established in 1924, the college is a pioneer in imparting quality education to its students. Today, the college boasts of over 8000 students, 275 faculty members and 400 administrative personnel. The college offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the fields of Science & Technology, Humanities & Social Sciences and Commerce.
The College has produced some distinguished alumni over the years, including Renuka Chowdhury (Former Union Minister) and Naina Lal Kidwai (Managing Director & Country Head of HSBC Bank). Apart from this, the college houses some remarkable facilities such as sports fields, laboratories and well-stocked libraries. It also plays host to several cultural programmes throughout the year for its students.
The mission of Indraprastha College for Women is to foster intellectual excellence and create an environment which encourages creativity and allows learning with integrity. It strives to engender values like sensitivity towards social causes and global affairs amongst its students through state-of-the-art teaching methods. The college works towards creating confident graduates who can compete and succeed anywhere in the world while still having respect for their Indian culture & heritage.
Vision And Mission
To cultivate a diverse and inclusive community of inquiry, innovation, and impact that will empower our students to become ethical leaders in society.
We strive to create an environment that facilitates learning, creativity and excellence amongst our students through experiential and innovative teaching-learning methods. We promote our students’ intellectual growth, and self-confidence and focus on their holistic development to motivate them to reach beyond the limits of their potential. We also develop professional skills amongst our students by inspiring them to be global thinkers and innovators.
Indraprastha College for Women, established in 1924 by the Delhi Administration, is one of the oldest women’s colleges in India. The college was founded with the aim to provide higher education to females in the country and help them become independent, caring citizens of India. Initially, classes took place in a single room but due to successful leadership and dedicated individuals like Jaya Chaliha, founder and principal of Indraprastha College for Women, it has grown significantly, and now it is regarded as one of the leading educational institutes for women.
Since its inception, Indraprastha College has strived towards bridging the gaps between genders through quality education and skill-based learning. It introduced several new courses and programs, thus giving more choices to students who wish to pursue higher education in their respective fields or pursue their dreams. The college has grown over time; from having just 54 students when it started out, now there are around 3200 students currently studying at Indraprastha College for Women.
The college celebrated its 90th anniversary in 2014 marking many successful years in providing quality education to women while inspiring its students to achieve remarkable success both nationally and internationally. It was also felicitated by being awarded an ‘A’ Grade by the National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC), a Government of India body responsible for grading educational Institutes across India.
Apart from academic focus, Indraprastha College also encourages extracurricular activities such as debates and sports competitions that allow students to hone their skills outside the classroom. In order to ensure that every student gets a chance at pursuing her dreams without any external hindrance or financial constraints, the institute offers various scholarships from central & state governments every year, which have immensely benefitted hundreds of deserving girls so far.
Through these initiatives as well as hosting various cultural fests every year since 1962, Indraprastha College has firmly positioned itself amongst prominent educational institutes for women across the country, making it a symbol of hope for millions of aspiring girls out there who want to make something meaningful out of their lives and reach great heights!
- Treat all students and faculty members with respect and ensure a clear understanding of college regulations.
- Place a strong emphasis on academic excellence, while recognizing the importance of extracurricular activities.
- Ensure that the college environment is safe and secure for everyone by instituting appropriate social discipline initiatives.
- Foster an open dialogue between faculty, administration, and students to enhance engagement with feedback and ideas-sharing opportunities.
- Identify areas where improvements can be made in terms of facilities, infrastructure, learning process, etc and take proactive steps to address them.
- Promote a healthy campus culture by offering counselling services which provide support to both students and staff affected by mental health issues or personal struggles.
- Encourage each student to develop practical skills as well as knowledge by incorporating problem-solving activities in their syllabus/courses whenever possible.
- Take appropriate steps to ensure better access to technology and digital resources, thus enhancing the overall learning experience within the college premises
- B.A. (Hons.) English
- B.A. Honours with Vocational Studies in Psychology
- B.Sc. Mathematics
- B.Com (Hons.)
- BA (Hons.) Political Science
- BA Programme
- MA/MSc Economics
- M.Com Finance & Accounting/Taxation
- MA Psychology
- MA Sociology
- MSc Biochemistry / Microbiology / Botany / Zoology / Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Mass Media and Mass Communication (BMMMC)
- English Literary Society
- Dance Club
- Quiz Club
- Travellers’ Society
- Music Society
- Drama Society
- Fine Arts Society
- Photography & Videography Club
- Debating Society
- Women of Impact (WOI)
- Fashion Club
- Computer Science & Technology Society